ICU Monitor Tech
The Intensive Care Unit Monitor Technician is responsible for continuous and vigilant monitoring of the cardiac rhythms of the ICU, IMCU and telemetry-monitored patients and reports all alarms appropriately. The Monitor Technician is also responsible for performing clerical duties, transcribing physician orders, acting as the unit receptionist and providing for the organization of supplies and environment of the nursing station.
- Answers phone and intercom and refers calls to proper person.
- Greets and provides necessary assistance to visitors, patients and staff.
- Ensures coverage of nurse’s station during shift.
- Operates computer for order entry, running reports and label making.
- Transcribes physician’s orders.
- Maintains and records information to current patient chart.
- Requisitions interdepartmental services.
- Maintains current census report.
- Charts laboratory and x-ray reports.
- Ensures transportation of specimens.
- Processes admissions, transfers, and discharges.
- Completes charges according to computer policy.
- Assists in maintaining cleanliness, order, and an attractive environment at all times.
- Maintains quiet environment.
- Keeps patient census board current.
- Completes low level disinfection of nurses’ station desk, telephones and keyboards.
- Utilizes universal precautions in all aspects of work practice.
- Communicates positive culture reports to nurse in a timely manner.
- Remains compliant with hospital Hand Hygiene Policy.
- Maintains knowledge of hospital acquired infection rate and the measures being taken to decrease incident rate.
- Cleans equipment appropriately.
- Performs quality control check every shift
- Reports any problems with monitors immediately to Biomed Tech.
- Performs and documents telemetry inventory at change of shift.
- Demonstrates basic arrhythmia knowledge through successful completion of Basic Arrhythmia Course or passing of post-test within six months of employment.
- Maintains up-to-date telemetry report sheet.
- Monitors and documents monitor strips on each shift, at the time of implementation and discontinuation of telemetry as well as any rhythm changes.
- Reports rhythm changes in a timely fashion to the ICU nursing staff and appropriate nursing stations.
- Documents telemetry shift report on each patient.
- Insures that central monitor alarms are activated and audible. Adjusts alarm parameters as indicated. Acts appropriately in response to monitor alarms
- Reports significant changes in vital signs as recorded on monitor screen.
- Gives accurate, verbal hand-off report whenever leaving the desk; provides opportunity for questions.
High School Graduate or equivalent.
Knowledge of medical terminology and computer experience
Successful completion of Monitor Tech Arrhythmia Training Course