What Does an Orthopedic Doctor Do?
Orthopedic surgeons specialize in disorders of the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Our doctors at Stephens County Hospital work in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of such disorders. Whether your pain is due to a specific injury or has been developing over decades, our team of doctors can diagnose and treat your injury using the most advanced techniques and procedures. Dr. Vaughn and his team are eager to help you improve your health, both by preventing further damage and repairing existing injuries.
From diagnosing your injury to providing expert treatment and surgical care, Dr. Vaughn, Dr. Roberson, and their team at Stephens County Physician Group are dedicated to providing you with the best orthopedic healthcare in Stephens County and northeast Georgia.
General Orthopedic Conditions Treated by Stephens County Hospital
Since orthopedic doctors are trained in a wide variety of injuries and conditions spanning much of the human body, our team can provide treatment for many ailments. These include:
- Sprains and strains. Some of the most common injuries are the ones we sustain in day-to-day life. What seems like a simple slip-and-fall accident can lead to significant impairment as your body works to heal the damage. An orthopedic doctor will diagnose your injuries and monitor your progress for the duration of your recovery period, ensuring that you are returned to the best possible health after your injury.
- Fractures. Although an emergency medicine doctor can diagnose a broken bone and will offer general treatment to stabilize the bone, you will likely be referred to an orthopedic doctor immediately for follow-up. Orthopedic doctors have specialized education, training, and experience in treating fractures. For the best recovery possible, don’t delay in scheduling an appointment with a specialist!
- Tendonitis. Typically caused by repetitive movement, tendonitis can be an extremely painful and debilitating condition that requires careful diagnosis and treatment. An orthopedic doctor uses imaging such as MRI or x-rays to assess the severity of the inflammation and can recommend long-term solutions such as physical therapy to modify your movements and avoid further injury or surgery to permanently repair the damage.
- Bursitis. Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursa, which are small fluid-filled sacs that help facilitate joint mobility. While many cases of bursitis can be resolved with non-invasive measures, an orthopedic surgeon is the best type of doctor to diagnose and treat this condition.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome. Since orthopedic doctors are specialists in the musculoskeletal system, they are uniquely prepared to diagnose and treat carpal tunnel syndrome. Our doctors specialize in endoscopic carpal tunnel release, minimally invasive surgery with excellent results and a quicker healing time than traditional surgery.
- Total joint replacement. Unfortunately, some conditions require the total or partial replacement of a joint. Whether you are suffering from damaged knees or have sustained a major hip injury, our orthopedic physicians can treat your condition and provide top-tier results through joint replacement as needed.
Orthopedic Surgeons Near Me
No matter your injury, our medical team will explain your condition and the available treatments. Their years of training and experience can guide you toward the course of treatment that will yield optimal results in your case. Most injuries or conditions can be treated with non-surgical options such as physical therapy or cortisone injections.
However, if Dr. Vaughn or Dr. Roberson recommends surgery as the best solution for your pain, they perform the most up-to-date and advanced procedures such as arthroscopy and minimally invasive surgery. Your health and recovery are our goals at Stephens County Hospital. For comprehensive orthopedic care in North Georgia, call our office today at 706-282-5845.
Our team of professionals is proud to serve the community of Stephens County through our orthopedic services. Our team includes:
Christopher Vaughn, MD
Medical School: the University of Cincinnati School of Medicine
Residency: Brooke Army Medical Center
Certifications: American Board of Orthopedics
Matt Roberson, MD
Medical School: Medical College of Georgia
Residency: Greenville Health System
Certifications: American Board of Orthopedics
Brian Hamon, OAC
Education: Academy of Health Science
Arrahwannah Turpin, OAC
Education: North Georgia College & State University