Shoulder Injuries and Treatments
Shoulder pain can be caused by a shoulder injury or disease within the joint. Common injuries and conditions can lead to swelling and redness, inflammation, instability and impaired movement.
Arthritis, injury, and repetitive motions, such as those used during sports or work-related activities, are leading causes of pain, stiffness, and limited mobility in the shoulder.
At Stephens County Hospital, Dr. Christopher Vaughn, our board-certified orthopedic surgeon, is highly experienced in diagnosing and treating a broad spectrum of shoulder injuries and conditions.
Shoulder Injuries and Diseases Treated at Stephens County Hospital
At Stephens County Hospital, Dr. Vaughn and his team work to treat the root cause of your shoulder pain. Some of the injuries or issues we often see in patients include:
- Arthritis: swelling of the shoulder joint causing pain and prohibiting movement
- Fractures: or broken shoulder. The shoulder is complex and fractures can occur in various places within the shoulder.
- Bursitis and tendonitis: common causes of shoulder pain that involve swelling of the joint.
- Rotator cuff tear: tear in the group of muscles and tendons that stabilize the shoulder
- Shoulder impingement: your rotator cuff catches or rubs against the acromion causing pain and discomfort
- Shoulder instability: also called a subluxation. This takes place when the parts of the should become loose and the ball and socket do not interact properly. This can also be referred to as a partially dislocated shoulder.
- Separated and dislocated shoulder, including acromioclavicular (AC): dislocation of the joint that connects the shoulder blade to the collarbone
Shoulder Treatment in Northeast Georgia
To treat shoulder injuries, Dr. Vaughn offers non-surgical solutions whenever possible, as well as advanced surgical procedures. Your treatment might include one or more of the following:
- Physical therapy
- Corticosteroid (cortisone) injections
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Rotator cuff repair
- Stabilization surgery
- Total shoulder replacement
- Minimally invasive shoulder surgery
Shoulder Treatment Near Me
If you have shoulder pain that needs immediate treatment, call Dr. Vaughn at Stephens County Physician group today at 706-282-5845