Cardiac Rehabilitation & Maintenance
Cardiac Rehabilitation & Maintenance Program
Our goal in Cardiac Rehabilitation is to support and strengthen patients who have experienced a cardiac event or have stable chest pain. Our team of experts combines exercise, education and socialization in an effort to cultivate healthy lifestyle habits, maintain the highest level of function and improve quality of life. Cardiac Rehabilitation can also help prevent future heart problems for those at high risk for heart disease or heart attack. Upon graduation, we offer a Maintenance Program to help you continue in your success.
Call 706.282.4182 for more information.
Who is a Candidate for Cardiac Rehabilitation?
Anyone who has experienced a cardiac event or has stable chest pain is a candidate for Cardiac Rehabilitation. The following diagnoses are accepted:
- Heart Attack
- Coronary artery bypass graft aka open heart surgery
- Angioplasty or coronary stents
- Heart valve surgery
- Stable chest pain
- Heart transplant
Benefits of Cardiac Rehabilitation
The many benefits of the Cardiac Rehabilitation include:
- Lower risk of fatal heart attack.
- Decreased severity of chest pain; decreased need for medicines to control chest pain.
- Reduced need for hospital stays and emergency room visits for heart problems.
- Decreased blood pressure.
- Reduced shortness of breath and fatigue in people with heart failure.
- Ability to exercise longer (increased exercise tolerance).
- Improved cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Reduced emotional stress, depression, and anxiety.
- Significant weight loss when exercise is combined with other changes in lifestyle, such as eating a balanced diet.
How to Join
To join the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program you must have a physician referral. Our staff can help facilitate the referral process by contacting your physician.
Many insurance plans provide coverage for Cardiac Rehabilitation. Financial aid is also available for those who qualify.
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Program ranges from 18-36 visits and each visit lasts about 1 hour. Each Cardiac Rehabilitation participant will have a program designed specifically to meet their needs determined by the risk factors for heart disease. Once the participant has completed and is discharged from the prescribed Cardiac Rehabilitation Program, they are encouraged to continue an exercise program. With this in mind, we offer a maintenance class for all Cardiac Rehabilitation graduates. The Cardiopulmonary facility is open Monday, Wednesday and Thursday with class times flexible.
Stephens County Hospital
163 Hospital Drive
Toccoa, GA 30577